Friday, June 20, 2014

Release Day Review: Starring Evans by Sarah J Carr (a JackRabbit7 short story)

You know what I love about Sarah’s short stories? *looks around* Want to know? *leans closer* Come over here, and I’ll tell you….

Each of Sarah’s stories tells their own tale, BUT… Each of them weaves into the main story (the JackRabbit7 series), and adds an extra layer to the story. You get a better picture of what’s happening, of some of the characters and why things are the way they are. I LOVE the way it intertwines!

That said, if you haven’t read Embracing Hamilton, you don’t know who the main characters are in Starring Evans; Bruno and Orion. So I am issuing a spoiler warning here; if you haven’t read Embracing Hamilton, then close your eyes.

Orion comes into Amelia’s life in Embracing Hamilton, and Starring Evans is her story. It shows how much damage JR7 has done to Orion and her family, and we get to crash in on Orion and Bruno’s wedding. (Told you not to look if you hadn’t read Embracing Hamilton!!)

I was curious about Orion and who she truly was after reading Embracing Hamilton, so reading Staring Evans was great. As usual, Sarah’s stories are filled with a rollercoaster of emotions. I was so sad when I read about how JR7 had altered Orion and her brother. How the coalition tried to destroy their wedding, and the sweet and sad deal that Orion and Bruno makes in the end, and how well Starring Evans filtered into Embracing Hamilton. Beautiful. I had goosebumps when reading their conversation and tears in my eyes because suddenly other things made more sense. The picture wasn’t all that pretty.

And that is what I love so much about JackRabbit7; despite that I’ve read all the books currently released, all the short stories (even got the chance to read some of the books and shorts before release – like waaaay before), Sarah STILL manages to rattle me. She still draws every emotion possible out of you as a Reader and she STILL surprises you. In the best and worst way. I am telling you, when Sarah gets messages from me when I beta for her- they are filled with cuss words. Frequently, and used plenty. But was is more amazing, despite being so deep into the series now, when I close one of her books or shorts….. I still want more. THAT is priceless and the reason why I keep returning to get my JackRabbit7 dose. The fact that you can re-read her stories and find more things that you overlooked; small pieces of information that got lost in the bigger picture, but that suddenly makes more sense further along.

I am a JackRabbit7 junkie, and I am PROUD of it! :-D



Orion Evans leads a vibrant life through many identities. Being engaged to a double agent with the IA has exposed her to colorful situations, but it’s about to get hazy. Unfortunately, one piece of her past refuses to let go, and the truth isn’t always black and white.

With her wedding quickly approaching and JackRabbit7 entering the picture, all hell is about to break loose. Can she determine a friend’s true colors before a storm rains on her parade?


You can buy Starring Evans HERE



Sarah Jayne Carr is a novelist who can be found most evenings with a cup of tea in-hand and her imagination racing from plot to plot. When away from her work, part of her mind is constantly brainstorming her next story and she always has writing paraphernalia within reach.

She wrote stories as a child, but became more serious about her passion during her twenties. In her spare time, she likes to read, splash in mud puddles, smell bookstores and eat Honeycrisp apples. Yearly, she participates in NaNoWriMo and has mentored others through the program. Due to her dedication to National Novel Writing Month, she is part of an amazing writing group.

Born and raised in Washington State, Sarah still resides in the area. Her life is richly filled with her supportive, yet swashbuckling husband and their golden Nugget.

 
 
You can find Sarah here:
 
 
Don't forget to visit her RELEASE DAY PARTY over on FB
 

No comments:

Post a Comment